Chinos are one of the most stylish clothes for men, easy to wear, and versatile garments in menswear, but they can easily get lost in the mix of all-purpose trousers. They’re a great go-to item for those fashion-conscious menswear shoppers looking for an alternative to jeans, as well as for those looking for a stylish alternative to dress pants. However, it’s easy to milk these good qualities out of chinos and wear them carelessly so you don’t look your best. Thankfully this isn’t too difficult!
What are chinos?
Chinos are a kind of casual trousers made from closely woven cotton twill that has a light texture. They are designed to be comfortable and easy to wear, so they are popular as workwear and casual attire. Their versatility makes them a great pair of pants to lean on during transitional periods, and due to their easy wear, they are excellent for dressing up or down.
The best men’s chinos come in many different fits and styles, but it’s important that you understand the construction of chinos so you can make sure your choice is properly tailored.
Wearing Chinos in a good way
To give you some ideas on how you can wear chinos while improving your personal style:
- Keep it simple with a single breast pocket and stick with darker shades (gray or navy) if possible. You can always keep it light by adding at least one or two other details (such as a pocket square, belt, or cuff links) to pop the outfit out from the rest of your casual wear.
- The fabric is all-important with chinos and so you should select something that doesn’t fade easily (like khaki) or something more brightly colored than most chinos. Maximum versatility is what you’re looking for so go crazy with studs and patches.
- Keep yourself honest by switching between dark and light shades every now and then. You don’t want to get too comfortable or the look will become boring.
- Don’t be afraid to experiment and try out new combinations. Just make sure they’re age-appropriate and your chinos fit perfectly.
- Pair your chinos with sneakers, bluchers (oxfords), boat shoes, or even boots depending on what you’re going for! Just remember that a smart casual outfit isn’t complete without a nice pair of leather dress shoes so keep them around if you’ve got them.
- You can also wear your chinos with a jacket however you’d look silly if dressed formally in trousers that are meant for casual wear.
- You can also wear chinos with a sweater or a button-up cardigan to create a smokier look while still maintaining a versatile casual look.
- You should also keep in mind that you don’t need to wear your trousers with anything too formal or conservative, just keep them clean cut. Go for darker shades if possible. If you pull out all the stops and mix it with something colorful and pattern you can look really sharp while never going overboard and looking like you’re trying too hard.
As you can see, there are a lot of great options when it comes to how to wear chinos. If you want to step up your own fashion game and wear them in a way that expresses your own personal style then keep this list handy and the secrets of how to wear chinos will come naturally. Keep one thing in mind: if you’re not feeling confident with how to wear chinos, it’s a good idea to try them on in person before you buy as problems that seem minor on the internet can actually be very noticeable from a distance.